1. The upper and lower retainers should be worn at all times, 24 hours a day, removed only when eating and brushing teeth. The appliance should only be out for no more than 20 minutes at a time during the first 6 months.
2. The retainerís plastic taste will disappear quickly, and your speech will return to normal after a few days of wearing it. (singing out loud, reading out loud and lots of talking helps)
3. Soreness will leave in a few days, even after an adjustment. If you have one spot that does not go away after 3 to 4 days call the office for an adjustment.
4. DO NOT PLAY WITH OR FLIP RETAINER IN AND OUT OF THE MOUTH THIS CAN CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE TEETH AND TO THE RETAINER.
1. Clean the retainer by brushing it when brushing your teeth and clean it with denture cleaner using warm water once a week - NEVER USE HOT OR BOILING WATER.
2. When the retainer is not in your mouth, be sure to place it in the retainer box youíve been given. NEVER PLACE THE RETAINER IN A NAPKIN OR YOUR POCKET.
3. KEEP RETAINER AWAY FROM AWAY FROM ANIMALS.
4. BRING YOUR RETAINER TO ALL OF YOUR APPOINTMENTS.
1. A special wire is attached to the inside of your teeth; it requires special attention.
2. A fixed retainer will remain in your mouth permanently or until your wisdom teeth have erupted normally or have been removed.
1. When brushing, be extra careful to clean the wire and the inside of your teeth. Floss daily and use a floss threader between the retainer wire and the gums.
1. Same wear instruction as the removable retainer.
1. WHEN CLEANING, BE SURE NOT TO CLEAN WITH TOOTHPASTE Ė ONLY SOAP AND WATER!
REPLACMENT FOR LOST OR DAMANGED RETAINERS ARE AT THE PATIENTíS COST!!!
What to do if you have a lost or broken retainer
At your debond appointment, we will give you your retainer models. Please keep these models in a safe place. If your retainers are lost or broken we will need these models to make or repair your retainers. Without the models you will be charged $50 per arch ($50 for the upper and $50 for the lower, if both are needed) to retake models.
If you have lost or broken retainers, call the office immediately. The longer you wait, the greater the chance of your teeth shifting. We will schedule an office visit to see the patient. At this visit, please bring the retainer (if broken) and the models. Dr. Falsafi will evaluate your needs and additional costs and schedule you accordingly.